Going deeper in Philosophy and Meditation
with Marit Akintewe
We are now taking bookings for our August 2023 course.
Using ancient advice and modern ideas we will consider the search for truth and happiness. An applied course of how we engage with life, our mindset, our ability to find joy and contentment in each moment.
Thank you for your interest in this Yoga and philosophy course. Our study here is ourselves, our emotions, daily experiences and relationships. This is a practical look at how we can bring our understanding of Yoga, and the application of these ideas, to increase joy and stillness in our daily lives for ourselves and those around us.
- We shall go deeper into the yamas and niyamas of the Patanjali Yoga system.
- Non- Violent Communication.
- The science of Happiness.
- Psychological aspects of yogic cleansing.
- Study of modern spirituality and what it means in our society and how to integrate ideas about living an ethical and fulfilling life, through studying Sam Harris and others.
- We shall study the Self Enquiry methods of meditation by Ramana Maharshi, as well as meta (loving compassion) meditation.
- We will also study the Bhagavad Gita, with all its relevance for our motivations for actions, and letting go of attachments. Including our exploration of dharma and karma Yoga.
- We shall be supporting your home meditation practice as an integral part of your personal journey during the year, using supportive aids like the waking up app and the RAIN methods of Tara Brach.
- Learning how to be a meditation teacher, with practice and assignments.
We shall be including home learning with reading and evolution assignments, with a full online platform with recordings of all sessions and more, to support your growth throughout the year.
Reaching across disciplines of Western science, Indian Yoga, Buddhism, and modern thinkers to help guide us on a journey of personal reflection. On this course we shall study the teachings on how to act from the Bhagavad Gita, the non-dual philosophies of Ramana Maharshi, the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, modern philosophers like Sam Harris (spirituality without religion – waking up), Rosenburg (Non-Violent Communication) and Jack Kornfield. We shall go on this journey together using books, online material, podcasts, personal evolution assignments (PEAs), a buddy system, and group discussion, to integrate these ideas into your life. This is a year of personal discovery and transformation, a study of truth, and joy and how to live more fully.
11 Saturday’s (10 – 2pm, with 4 full days of 10 – 4pm) over a year. Each session will have a structure roughly similar to this: Starting with guided meditation, then a lecture on a given topic, a short movement practice focused on relaxing the body and mind, then a workshop format learning and discussion of topics studied in the month, finishing with yoga nidra.
Plus learning and guided practices between sessions.
Live zoom dates can be missed as they will be recorded and can be caught up with, as long as you continue on your learning journey between the sessions. Although attendance is highly recommended and only 3 can be missed if you wish to build up towards the 300 hour qualification.
A strong interest in philosophy, or a 200 hour yoga teacher qualification is recommended for this course.
Course costs £80 per month (first payment 1st August) for 11 months, or lump sum payment of £800.
£40 deposit payable to hold your space.
Please contact Marit for more information, or click here to apply (info at bottom of page).
Going Deeper in Yoga Philosophy and Meditation Dates for 2023/ 24.
|Saturday 10.00 – 12.00pm or 10 – 4pm if full day
|Saturday 19th August 2023 (full day 10 – 4pm)
|Saturday 9th September
|Saturday 7th October
|Saturday 11th November
|Saturday 9th December 23 (full day 10 – 4pm)
|Saturday 13th January 2024 (full day 10 – 4pm)
|Saturday 10th February
|Saturday 16th March
|Saturday 13th April
|Saturday 11th May
|Saturday 8th June 2024 (full day 10 – 4pm)